- 2023 Portland Business Forum Scholarship Application Form - Amount of Award: $2,000
Deadline for submission of this form and accompanying materials is May 15, 2023. All questions must be answered, and requested materials submitted to ensure consideration.
The Portland Business Forum, a networking association of Portland area businesses, makes scholarships available to deserving high school students who wish to pursue their post-secondary education.
Eligibility: All enrolled seniors in the top 50 percent of their class at De La Salle North, Tigard, Lake Oswego, and West Linn high schools, who plan to continue their education at the post-secondary level are eligible. The Portland Business Forum awards scholarships without regard to race, religion, gender, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Amount of award: A total of five $2,000 scholarships will be given. One to each school above, plus one “wild card” scholarship to an applicant we select.
Selection process: Scholarship applications will be evaluated by a committee of Portland Business Forum members. To be considered for this award, the applicant must submit ALL of the following materials:
- The scholarship application, fully completed.
- An essay, as described in the application.
- A copy of the applicant’s transcript (an unofficial photocopy or scanned copy is acceptable).
- Two general letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant (photocopies or scanned copies are acceptable).
- Please see the Scholarship info for distribution pdf document at the top of this page for further information.
Brevity is encouraged. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. Completed applications should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Selection criteria: The Portland Business Forum is strongly committed to the ideals of entrepreneurship, professionalism, and ethical business practices, and we seek to encourage the development of these qualities in our youth. With this in mind, we consider the following factors in evaluating scholarship applications:
- Leadership and academic potential. Does the applicant exhibit the qualities of good leadership and decision-making, such as might be required of a future business owner or manager? In evaluating academic potential we look not just at current grade point average, but at the applicant’s overall development, progress, and improvement over the entire course of his or her high school experience.
- School and community participation. Does the applicant show an ability and desire to “give back” something of value to the communities of which he or she is a member? In evaluating this component, we look not just at quantity of involvements, but at the quality and ultimate contribution of each involvement to the greater good.
- Work experience and entrepreneurial spirit. Has the applicant shown an ability and desire to make a positive and creative contribution to the workplace? Preference will be given to applicants whose experience demonstrates the potential and aptitude for future business ownership.
- Educational and career aspirations. Preference will be given to applicants whose post-secondary educational goals exhibit an orientation toward the world of business; however, this does not require the applicant state an intent to declare a “business major.” Business-oriented educational goals include the pursuit of any post-secondary course of study that would help the applicant establish his or her own business, or facilitate the ability to act in a decision-making capacity for an established business.
- Financial need. All other factors remaining equal, we will give preference to applicants whose circumstances demonstrate the greatest financial need.
Scholarship use: Scholarships may be used for full-time or part-time study at any accredited college or university, post-secondary vocational school, or community college.
Deadline: Completed applications and all supporting materials must be submitted or e-mailed by no later than MAY 15, 2023.
The application can be accessed at http://www.portlandbusiness.org/scholarships.html. Please fill out all applicable areas of this application form. Completed applications should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Then, please combine, into one pdf file, the following documents:
- The completed application form (Please see link above).
- An essay, no longer than 750 words (Please see application for more information).
- Letter(s) of recommendation. These can also be submitted via email directly by the author to email@example.com.
- ONLY files in pdf format can be submitted. Please do not submit word or other formats. If using Word for your essay, please use the export to pdf function.
- All materials above MUST be combined into a single file in pdf format. We cannot accept separate files. If you do not have the necessary software, there are free services online that allow you to combine multiple pdf documents.
Alternatively, mail the documents to the Sponsor of this Scholarship Contest:
Portland Business Forum
9397 SW Locust St. Tigard, OR 97223
Telephone: (503) 675-4311
Presentation of award: Scholarships will be presented at each school’s awards assembly. Checks are ordinarily mailed to winners in July.